Thursday, July 17, 2008

Deep Chocolate Brownies

I stumbled across this recipe for these decadent looking brownies. Making these was added on to my long to-do list. When I finally got a change to bake, the only grocery store I have within walking distance was out of bittersweet chocolate. However, I discovered about 2 weeks later that Trader Joe's has bittersweet chocolate for pretty dang cheap.

A few minor additions and a couple hours later, out of the oven came the best brownies I have ever had.

Deep Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped nuts - I used pecans
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 350.
  • Butter and dust a 13 x 9 in baking pan with cocoa powder.
  • Melt butter and chocolate in a 3 qt. heavy saucepan over low heat, whisking, until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm. Whisk in the sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs one at a time until the mixture is glossy and smooth.
  • Whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt and then whisk into chocolate mixture until combined. Fold the chopped chocolate and nuts in.
  • Spread into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with gooey crumbs, about 30 minutes.
  • Cool completely and store for 24 hours before slicing.
I know that the last step is hard because these brownies look (and smell) amazing. But, trust me - the longer they sit, the better they taste!

1 comment:

Mike said...

These were by far the best brownies ever...I wish I had some right now!